Biodiversity section goals: To gain an understanding of some
non-animal organismal groups
How do we recognize and distinguish the groups from other kinds of
- How do these organisms make a living?
- What roles do they play in ecosystems?
- What relationships do they have with other organisms, e.g.
symbioses and humans?
Within a group, what are some major distinguishing features among
Groups we will consider:
- Algae (mainly seaweeds)
- Plants (non-vascular and vascular)
Biological characteristics that these groups all share:
- Multicellular body plans
- Cells with cell walls
How do fungi make their living?
- Heterotrophic - absorption
What is the basic fungal body plan?
- Hypha (singular) Hyphae (plural)
- Cell walls of chitin
- Cells with haploid nuclei (1n)
How do fungi grow?
How do fungi reproduce?
- asexual reproduction
- sexual reproduction
Distinguish between four major divisions in Kingdom Fungi in terms
of their species diversity, hyphal structure, and sexual
Importance of Fungi
- in ecosystems