||Seth Major, smajor, 4919, G052
Thursday 1:30 - ~5:00 PM
Mondays 2 - 4
MWF 10:00-10:50 AM Science Center G041
Halliday, Resnick, Walker, Fundamentals of Physics Extended, 10th Edition (same as Phys 190)
John Taylor, An Introduction to Error Analysis
and K&K and Simmons reading on the 195 eReserves
Tuesday afternoons 1:00 -~4:00 PM with Seth in G030 or nearby lab
Wednesday afternoons 1:00 -~4:00 PM with Viva Horowitz in G030 or nearby lab
Thursday afternoons 1:00 - ~4:00 PM with Adam Lark in G030 or nearby lab
- The 6th Guide is posted.
- The derivation of the wave equation for sound is posted.
- The "Official 195 Measurement of g" is 9.800 +/- 0.007 m/s^2.
Weekly Guides (pdf):
- Here's the derivation of the equation of motion for sound.
- The grade calculator (an excel spreadsheet). Simply fill in your mid-term exam grade, solution set grades (out of 10), and estimates for rest, and the calculator will calculate your estimated grade.
- There's a Chladni plate picture in the banner of this web page. Wikipedia has more on Ernst and his plates. Here's a page of his notebooks! Of course, YouTube has Chladni plate videos and there's a 2D flaming (!) demonstration shown in this video.
- Check out this comic on resonance
- A video of a wine glass orchestra or harp
- Here is the Phet simulator on resonance, used in the Guide 5 problem set.
- A resonator exhibit at the Exploratorium.
- Here's the PhET wave demo.
- A reconstruction of the black hole merger event that led to the gravitational wave discovery last year.
- The masses on springs videos: 1 and 2.
- The Citicorp Center in NYC and the Taipei 101 Tower have tuned mass dampers. I opened class on Monday February 6 asking why the Taipei 101 Tower has a pendulum inside. For more specifics see "Wind and Earthquake Resistant Buildings", some of which is on google books.
- You can see more of the Tacoma Narrows bridge in this video.There's a 2006 American Journal of Physics article by Green and Unruh on a more careful modeling of the Tacoma Narrows bridge. APS News recently had a piece on this as well, where they remind us that the original accidfent report pointed out the non-resonant behavior of the bridge.
- Fun can be had exciting the different modes of a suspension bridge. Here's an example at Messiah College.
- Check out this comic on resonance.
- In class on Monday, February 6 we went through the late time solution of driven, damped, harmonic motion. Here are the notes (pdf).
- Millennium Bridge oscillation video. See also a BCC program on this
- For a review of rotational dynamics see Chapter 10 of HRW.
- Galileo may have timed the swinging of the chandeliers in the Pisa cathedral. A picture of the ones installed in 1587, at History of Science at UO.
- Here is the PhET spring mass-on-a-spring demo. Enjoy!
- Clicker questions from lecture.
Last modified 24 February 2017